LAS VEGAS (AP) — After more than five years, Nevada has completed laboratory work on a backlog of thousands of rape evidence kits that were collected but stored for decades without being tested.

State Attorney General Aaron Ford said in a report completed last week for the upcoming Legislature that more than 7,800 kits were tested since 2015, leading to nearly 1,100 DNA matches and 64 arrests.

“Now, every Nevadan impacted by the state’s sexual assault kit backlog can rest easy knowing that their results are in-hand,” Ford said in a Thursday statement. “Law enforcement stands ready to assist should they decide to pursue justice.”

Southern Nevada’s backlog, which accounted for about 85% of the state’s untested kits, was cleared last April, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported. That left about 1,100 kits from northern Nevada to be tested by the Washoe County sheriff’s office in Reno. That work ended last month.

“This is a major milestone that has been years in the making,” Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam said in Ford’s statement. The sheriff noted that work continued through a year that also saw the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.

Ford, a Democrat, said about $15 million was spent on a testing initiative that began when he was a state senator. His predecessor, Republican Adam Laxalt, was attorney general. Some untested kits dated to 1985.

The U.S. Department of Justice put up about $8 million, Nevada lawmakers allocated $3 million and the state attorney general’s office pledged $3.8 million.

The state began a program in June 2019 to allow sexual assault survivors to track dates and milestones of the investigations of their cases through the state Department of Public Safety.

The attorney general’s office offers information about the program on its Sexual Assault Initiative website.