A residence and home daycare were severely damaged in a fire on Aron Court in Winnemucca last week, the family was able to evacuate from the residence unharmed and the fire appears to have been started by a lithium battery pack being charged on the top of a toolbox in the garage after preliminary investigation. 

Two adults and two children were in the residence when the fire began and evacuated after being alerted by the dogs in the middle of the night, followed by smoke detectors according to city fire officials. No injuries were reported to the family or dogs, turtle or lizard, but a cat did survive  the fire. 

The Winnemucca Fire Department and other local agencies responded to the structure fire on March 31 at approximately 1:31 a.m. 

Upon arrival, the garage was fully involved in flames, with smoke coming out of the rest of the structure’s attic spaces. Command confirmed that all occupants were evacuated but there was possibly a cat, a turtle and a lizard still in the structure. 

The firefighter’s initial attempt to enter the structure was hampered by heavy fire and heat. They then entered from the other side of the structure and quickly knocked down the fire with assistance from the exterior hose team. 

The fire was considered controlled at 2:06 a.m. Salvage and overhaul operations were conducted and the incident was terminated at approximately 4:14 a.m.

Response to the incident included three fire apparatus, one support vehicle, three command vehicles, a medic unit, three law enforcement units, two utility companies and 27 personnel. 

The Winnemucca Fire Department was assisted by the Winnemucca Police Department, Humboldt General Hospital EMS, NV Energy and Southwest Gas.