Winnemucca Rural Firefighters battle a house fire on Thursday morning against high winds.
Winnemucca Rural Firefighters battle a house fire on Thursday morning against high winds.
A fire partially destroyed the home of a resident on Jackson Road on Thursday and firefighters faced strong winds when fighting the fire. Foul play is not suspected to be a factor in the fire. 

At 11:15 a.m. on Wednesday the Winnemucca Rural Fire Department (WRFD) was dispatched to a house on fire on Jackson Road. 

Five trucks and 13 firefighters responded and battled the blaze. There were no injuries except approximately 20 – 25% of the house that was completely destroyed by the fire and the garage. 

Initial information indicates the fire may have started by a cigarette butt outside that caught a tree next to the home on fire and extended into the house with high winds. A neighbor saw the fire from the outside of the home and notified firefighters and the homeowner. 

Firefighters stayed on scene to ensure the fire stayed out until 2:30 p.m. 

“I just want to thank the firefighters for getting here and doing such a great job,” said the homeowner. 

Later that afternoon, the WRFD was also dispatched to Jungo Road to extinguish an unattended burn barrel. 

Last week a property owner was burning weeds and had several burn piles that got out of control and required assistance from the fire department. Officials said the individual burning did not call dispatch to give notification of the burn. 

“Be cautious and call it in (controlled burning) and don’t burn any more than you can handle and safely control,” said Winnemucca Rural Fire Department Chief Torrey Sheen.